MITRA MARTIN WORKSHOP WEEKEND
OCTOBER 26 - 28, 2018
Mitra Martin Workshop Weekend, October 26-28
FRIDAY, October 26 — Ochos
- 7:30 - 8:45 PM — Class 1. “Tools, Techniques, and Tips for a More Satisfying Tango Learning Trajectory”
- 9:00 PM - 11:00 PM — Guided Practica with Mitra Martin and DJ Sage
SATURDAY, October 27 — Ochos
- 1:00 - 2:15 PM — Class 2."Practices of Attention: Tapping the Source Where All Tango Cocreation Comes From”
- 2:45 - 4:00 PM — Class 3.“Turn Theory + One Exceedingly Useful Little Compact Turn With 4 Different Entrances”
- 8:00 - 9:00 PM — Pre-Milonga Beginner Lesson by Local Instructor(s).
- 9:00 PM - 12:00 AM — Grand Halloween Milonga w/DJ Lucia
- 12:00 AM - 2:00 AM - Late Night Alternative w/DJ Christian W.
SUNDAY, October 28 — Ochos
- 1:00 - 2:15M — Class 4. “Introduction to the Tango Lexicon - The Underlying Structure of Tango (+ Fun Ways to Generate New Combinations)(Part 1)”
- 2:45 - 4:00 PM — Class 5. “Introduction to the Tango Lexicon (Part 2)”
Evening — Solid Bar & Grill
- 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM — Closing Milonga w/DJ TBA
Ochos — 515 W. Idaho St.
Solid Bar & Grill — 405 S. 8th St.
Need Accommodations? Have accommodations to offer?
If you are from out-of-town and would like accommodations for our workshop weekend, please describe in the message box how many are in your party, exact dates of your stay, and if you have any restrictions (pet allergies, etc).
If you can offer accommodations, please describe how many people you can host and under what conditions. For example: "Two people in their own rooms." Or "Two people sharing a double bed."
Meet Mitra Martin
Mitra has spent over a decade developing and refining her approach to tango learning and teaching. She has taught over 2500 beginner classes and introduced many thousands of people to tango since she discovered tango at La Viruta in Buenos Aires and learned to dance in New York over 19 years ago. Her approach to tango has been influenced by Daniel Trenner, Brigitta Winkler, Gustavo Naveira, and Jaimes Friedgen.
Mitra is the co-founder (with Stefan Fabry) of Oxygen Tango in Los Angeles and co-creator of “The Tango Challenge” which has been offered over 25 times by four facilitators in LA and Minneapolis. Tango Challenge has over 130 graduates, many of whom who have gone on to teach, perform, compete, DJ, and organize. Mitra is also co-creator (with David Lampson) of Tango Lexicon and co-creator (with Anna Leon) of the all-woman Badass Leader's Club program. Mitra wrote “The Tango Manual”, an open-source peer-to-peer tango learning curriculum. Her innovations include mini-lessons, learning labs and tango buddy systems. She has taught Tango for Google, the Ford Theater, and has been a club advisor to Caltech Tango Club. Her newest project is The Tango Hatchery, a resource network for tango teachers and organizers.