March Intensive for All Levels: Turns (Giros)
Tango Boise is starting a new class format designed to deeply dive into a specific tango subject that is accessible to all levels. Each month will be a different subject. We're kicking things off with Tango Turns in March. Here's a level guide so you can choose the class or classes that are right for you:
Level 0 (Never danced tango before)
- Monday's Learning Lab (what is a learning lab?) hosted by BSU Tango Club, starts at 6 pm (more info)
- Wednesday Beginner Series at Carpe Danza (more info)
Level 1 (Some experience with tango but not a lot with the monthly subject)
- "Turn Fundamentals" lesson, 7:30 pm - 8:00 every Thursday night at Ochos (see description below)
- "Tango Turns Focus" lesson, 8:00 pm - 9:00 every Thursday night at Ochos IF you also took the 7:30 fundamentals lesson (see description below)
Level 2 (Have taken classes on tango turns before)
- "Tango Turns Focus" lesson, 8:00 pm - 9:00 every Thursday night at Ochos. You don't need to have taken the 7:30 fundamentals class to participate in the lesson (though you should anyway!)
- "Tango Turns Beyond" lessons, 7:00 pm - 8:00 every Sunday at Solid (see description below)
What are Turns (Giros)?
Tango turns (also called giros or molinetes) are movements where the follower (and sometimes the leader) move around their partner, like a planet orbiting a sun. The follower uses a grapevine pattern of steps to encircle the leader. See the video to the left for a dance with examples of tango turns. It is considered one of the fundamental movements of tango.
Schedule and Descriptions
7:30 - 8:00 pm "Turn Fundamentals" - This class will be the same every Thursday and will go over the fundamentals of the subject of the month so you can succeed in the Focus Class. We'll go over basic footwork concepts, lead and follower technique, and drills. You need to take this class to be able to participate in the 8:00 class if you don't have experience with the current subject! Though taking it anyway isn't a bad idea.
8:00 - 9:00 pm "Tango Turns Focus" - This class will be different alternate Thursdays and will go over different tango turns you can incorporate into your dance. Classes are not progressive, so you can take one without other Thursday's classes.
- March 1st: The Milonguero Turn
- March 8th: The Milonguero Turn
- March 15th: Basic Turn to the Right
- March 22nd: Basic Turn to the Right
- March 29th: Changing Turn Directions
7:00 - 8:00 pm "Tango Turns Beyond" - This class will be different every Sunday and will be an accelerated version of the previous Thursday class. We'll go over the material from that class again, then "take it beyond" and cover variations and advanced technique.
- March 4th: The Milonguero Dip
- March 11th: The Milonguero Turn in Vals
- March 18th: Turn to the Right with Sacadas
- March 25th: Turn to the Right Variations