August Intensive for All Levels: Dynamics
Every month, tango classes in Boise take on a new theme, allowing beginner dancers to learn a new aspect of tango through repetition...or allow experienced dancers to deepen their skill in a particular subject. July's theme is dynamics. Here's a level guide so you can choose the class or classes that are right for you:
Level 0 (You've never danced tango before)
- Wednesday Beginner Series at Carpe Danza (more info)
Level 1 (You have some experience with tango but not a lot with the monthly subject)
- Beginner lesson, 7:30 pm - 8:00 every Thursday night at Ochos (see description below)
- "Dynamics Focus" lesson, 8:00 pm - 9:00 every Thursday night at Ochos IF you also took the 7:30 fundamentals lesson (see description below)
Level 2 (You have taken classes on tango turns before)
- "Dynamics Focus" lesson, 8:00 pm - 9:00 every Thursday night at Ochos. You don't need to have taken the 7:30 fundamentals class to participate in the lesson (though you should anyway!)
- "Dynamics Beyond" lessons, 7:00 pm - 8:00 every Sunday at Solid (see description below)
What are dynamics?
Dynamics are all about creating contrast in your dance for a rich and textured experience. They are shifts of energy or ideas that keep your dance from feeling "samey" all the time and allows to to express the different moods of the music. A dynamic dance switches between slow and fast, big and small, compressed and released. You can create variation in your dance by doing a lot of moves, but also by taking a single move and doing it many different ways. That's dynamics.
Schedule and Descriptions
7:30 - 8:00 pm "Fundamentals" - This class will be the same every Thursday and will go over the fundamentals of the subject of the month so you can succeed in the Focus Class. We'll go over basic footwork concepts, lead and follower technique, and drills. You need to take this class to be able to participate in the 8:00 class if you don't have experience with the current subject! Though taking it anyway isn't a bad idea.
8:00 - 9:00 pm "Focus" - This class will be different alternate Thursdays and will go over different tango turns you can incorporate into your dance. Classes are not progressive, so you can take one without other Thursday's classes.
- August 2nd: Timing Dynamics: Slow and Fast (D'Arienzo)
- August 9th: Shape Dynamics: Circular and Linear (Pugliese)
- August 16th: guest teachers, TBA
- August 23rd: Feeling Dynamics: Compact/Earthy and Open/Airy (Biagi)
- August 30th: Size Dynamics: Big and Small (Troilo)
7:00 - 8:00 pm "Beyond" - This class will be different every Sunday and will be an accelerated version of the previous Thursday class. We'll go over the material from that class again, then "take it beyond" and cover variations and advanced technique.
- August 5th: guest teachers Roy and Christian
- August 12th: The Tango Solo
- August 19th: guest teachers, TBA
- August 26th: Embrace Dynamics