July Intensive for All Levels: Crosses
Every month, Tango Boise dive's deeply into a specific tango subject that is accessible to all levels, with subjects rotating regularly. July's theme is the tango cross. Here's a level guide so you can choose the class or classes that are right for you:
Level 0 (You've never danced tango before)
- Wednesday Beginner Series at Carpe Danza (more info)
Level 1 (You have some experience with tango but not a lot with the monthly subject)
- "Cross Fundamentals" lesson, 7:30 pm - 8:00 every Thursday night at Ochos (see description below) - July 5th at Carpe Danza due to floor sealing at Ochos.
- "Tango Cross Focus" lesson, 8:00 pm - 9:00 every Thursday night at Ochos IF you also took the 7:30 fundamentals lesson (see description below)
Level 2 (You have taken classes on tango turns before)
- "Tango Cross Focus" lesson, 8:00 pm - 9:00 every Thursday night at Ochos. You don't need to have taken the 7:30 fundamentals class to participate in the lesson (though you should anyway!)
- "Tango Crosses Beyond" lessons, 7:00 pm - 8:00 every Sunday at Solid (see description below)
What are tango crosses?
Tango crosses (also called cruzadas) are movements where the follower (and sometimes the leader) cross one foot over the other. It is one of the fundamental movements of tango, and is incredibly versatile. Crosses can be done forwards, backwards, linearly or circularly. Getting good at crosses is essential for being a great tango dancer! See the video to the left for a dance with examples of tango crosses.
Schedule and Descriptions
7:30 - 8:00 pm "Fundamentals" - This class will be the same every Thursday and will go over the fundamentals of the subject of the month so you can succeed in the Focus Class. We'll go over basic footwork concepts, lead and follower technique, and drills. You need to take this class to be able to participate in the 8:00 class if you don't have experience with the current subject! Though taking it anyway isn't a bad idea.
8:00 - 9:00 pm "Focus" - This class will be different alternate Thursdays and will go over different tango turns you can incorporate into your dance. Classes are not progressive, so you can take one without other Thursday's classes.
- July 4th: Cross basic and exits
- July 11th: Ocho cortado
- July 18th: Back cross
- July 25th: Mixing and Matching Crosses I
7:00 - 8:00 pm "Beyond" - This class will be different every Sunday and will be an accelerated version of the previous Thursday class. We'll go over the material from that class again, then "take it beyond" and cover variations and advanced technique.
- July 1st: Cross system vs. Parallel System
- July 8th: Cross Basic Subtleties
- July 15th: Fancy Cortado
- July 22nd: Advanced back crosses
- July 29th: Mixing and Matching Crosses II