June Intensive for All Levels: Milonga
Tango Boise's new class format is designed to deeply dive into a specific tango subject that is accessible to all levels. Each month will be a different subject. For June, we're covering milonga. Here's a level guide so you can choose the class or classes that are right for you:
Level 0 (Never danced tango before)
- Wednesday Beginner Series at Carpe Danza (more info)
Level 1 (Some experience with tango but not a lot with the monthly subject)
- "MilongaFundamentals" lesson, 7:30 pm - 8:00 every Thursday night at Ochos (see description below)
- "Milonga Focus" lesson, 8:00 pm - 9:00 every Thursday night at Ochos IF you also took the 7:30 fundamentals lesson (see description below)
Level 2 (Have taken classes on tango turns before)
- "Milonga Focus" lesson, 8:00 pm - 9:00 every Thursday night at Ochos. You don't need to have taken the 7:30 fundamentals class to participate in the lesson (though you should anyway!)
- "Milonga Beyond" lessons, 7:00 pm - 8:00 every Sunday at Solid (see description below)
What is Milonga?
The word "Milonga" has two meanings in the world of Argentine tango. "Milonga" can mean a formal dance event where the focus is on having fun over that of learning. It is also a sub-genre of tango dancing and music, and that is what the month is focused on. Milonga is a a high-energy form of tango in which there are fewer pauses and quicker steps. It's super fun and always a blast!
Some steps that work for tango do not work well for milonga, and some movements work extra great! We'll be focusing on those super great movements this month.
Schedule and Descriptions
7:30 - 8:00 pm "Milonga Fundamentals" - This class will be the same every Thursday and will go over the fundamentals of the subject of the month so you can succeed in the Focus Class. We'll go over basic footwork concepts, lead and follower technique, and drills. You need to take this class to be able to participate in the 8:00 class if you don't have experience with the current subject! Though taking it anyway isn't a bad idea.
8:00 - 9:00 pm "Milonga Focus" - This class will be different alternate Thursdays and will go over different aspects of embrace, connection, and walking. Classes are not progressive, so you can take one without other Thursday's classes. Note: June 7th will be part of of the Tree City Tango festival and will not be milonga focused.
- June 14th: Improvising in Milonga
- June 21st: Milonga Musicality
- June 28th: Traspie
7:00 - 8:00 pm "Milonga Beyond" - This class will be different every Sunday and will be an accelerated version of the previous Thursday class. We'll go over the material from that class again, then "take it beyond" and cover variations and advanced technique. Note June 10th will be part of the Tree City Tango festival and will not be milonga focused.
- June 3rd: Boleos in Milonga
- June 17th: Back and Forth
- June 24th: Milonga turns